- (In)visible: Light in Astronomy and Art Conservation
- metaLAB Object Map
- Solar Wall
- Franz Marc's Grazing Horses IV
- Mark Rothko's Harvard Murals
- Enter Your URL
(In)visible: Light in Astronomy and Art Conservation
This project is a collaboration between affiliates of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and the Harvard Art Museums to explore different forms of light and looking. The two interactive case studies presented here document these different processes of examination. On the left, explore how an astronomer uses x-rays to study and visualize a supernova remnant. On the right, follow how art conservators use visible light and x-rays to learn about the development of Van Gogh's painting Three Pairs of Shoes.
* Press the RIGHT/LEFT arrow key to select a case study, and press ENTER key to explore the selected case study or go back to the menu. Press the RIGHT/LEFT arrow key to navigate the viuslaizations in the case studies.
metaLAB Object Map
This project presents a sortable, interactive visualization of 90% objects currently on display in the Harvard Art Museumsâ€™ galleries.
* Move the cursor to select an object. Press the ENTER key to reveal the image and metadata of the selected object. Hover and press the ENTER key on the colored text to sort the objects by the selected field. Press the deck icon at the top-left corner of the image to show more images, color analysis, and/or the gallery location. Press the ENTER key anywhere on the screen to go back to the menu.
Solar astronomers have been creating near-real-time videos of the Sun in wavelengths that are not visible to the naked eye. By conflating this material here, the Harvard Art Museums have been turned into a virtual telescope.
* Press the RIGHT/LEFT arrow key to explore the 7 visualizations of the Sun. Press the ENTER key to toggle the annotation layers.
Franz Marc's Grazing Horses IV
This project presents new findings about Franz Marcâ€™s materials and techniques that resulted from conservatorsâ€™ in-depth investigation of the Grazing Horses IV.
* Press the RIGHT/LEFT arrow key to navigate the 11 slides.
Mark Rothko's Harvard Murals
This project is an experiment of a digital representation, which aims to create the afterlife of the Mark Rothko's Harvard Murals exhibition.
* Press the RIGHT/LEFT arrow key to view different murals; Press the ENTER key to toggle the compensation images for the digital restoration.
Enter Your URL
Copy and paste an URL in the type box to see how the content looks like in the video wall in the Lightbox Gallery.